Helping physicians to thrive and have a positive impact on their patients’ lives, at an individual and system level.
How DNS achieves its purpose
Doctors Nova Scotia (DNS) is the collective voice of physicians in Nova Scotia. On behalf of the province’s doctors, the association is committed to working with all partners in health-care delivery to ensure Nova Scotia is positioned to recruit and retain talented and skilled doctors, introduce new and innovative ways to deliver health care, and to continuously look for ways to improve patient care and access.
To serve our members, DNS:
- Negotiates physician remuneration with the provincial government
- Acts as the medical profession’s united voice on health-care issues that affect physicians and their patients to the public, health-care stakeholders and the government
- Influences and supports the development of health-care policies
- Offers programs and services to support physicians throughout their career
- Offers a comprehensive package of member benefits and services
Doctors Nova Scotia is governed by its Board of Directors, a group of physicians that provides the association with its overall strategic direction.
Doctors Nova Scotia’s 2017–21 Strategic Plan calls on the association to:
- Connect and engage physicians
- Advocate on behalf of physicians
- Serve physicians by providing effective member benefits and services
Looking for a family doctor?
A common misunderstanding is that Doctors Nova Scotia can help patients find a family doctor. It is not the mandate of Doctors Nova Scotia to connect patients with family doctors. This is the role of the Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness (DHW) and the Nova Scotia Health Authority.
Individuals and families without a family doctor are encouraged to register with the Need a Family Practice registry or contact the DHW for assistance in finding a family doctor who is accepting new patients.
No disciplinary powers
Doctors Nova Scotia doesn’t have disciplinary powers over doctors. The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia is the professional body responsible for licensing doctors and regulating the province’s medical profession.
Connect with us
Contact us through our Staff Directory.