2021 Election results
Drs. Cumming and Veerassamy have been elected as the representatives for the Halifax Metro seats on the Council:
|Candidate||On-line votes||% of votes|
* 74 physicians cast votes and were able to vote for two candidates.
Seats filled by acclamation
The following seats were filled through the nomination process:
- Osemekhian Eriakha, Pictou County
- Jennifer Gillis, Annapolis/Kings counties
- Stephen McCarthy, Colchester/Hants counties
- Jennifer O'Connell, Halifax Rural
- Yousaf Sulemankhil, Cumberland County
The following seats remain vacant, if you are interested in serving on the council contact Sonia Abi Ajab:
- Antigonish/Guysborough counties
- Inverness/Victoria/Cape Breton and Richmond counties
All seats are for a two year term.
Honoraria and travel
Council members receive a $500 honorarium for each meeting and are reimbursed for travel expenses. Physicians have the option to connect to meetings via video-conference. The Council meets about four times a year, usually on Saturday mornings. During the pandemic, the Council has met virtually.
About the Council
The Section of Family Doctors Council advocates for the business and interests of primary care physicians. The council's work involves developing strategies for dealing with key issues that affect the role, responsibilities, and capabilities of primary care physicians.
The council acts as a sounding board for health transformation, often hearing about new initiatives in the earliest stages of their development. The Department of Health and Wellness, the Nova Scotia Health Authority, the Policy and Health Issues Committee and other health-care partners often solicit feedback from this group on behalf of family physicians across the province.