Nova Scotia relies on international medical graduates (IMGs) to provide care across the province. These are people who studied medicine outside of Canada, including Canadians who studied medicine abroad (called CSAs) at a school that is not accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
To practise medicine in Nova Scotia, you must be licensed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia and credentialed by Nova Scotia Health, among other steps. Depending on your previous training, you may have to complete multiple exams or a residency. See all of the requirements you will need in order to work here.
Several organizations offer programs to help IMGs become doctors in Nova Scotia:
- The Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS) is a community organization that has a bridging program to help IMGs, offering employment counselling and coaching, pathways to licensure, and study groups. It has created an Orientation for International Medical Graduates
- Discuss return of service agreements with Doctors Nova Scotia
- Dalhousie Medical School Postgraduate Medical Education lists residency positions in Canada
- Dalhousie University Global Health Office explores studying at Dalhousie Medical School and training abroad
- The provincial government’s International Medical Graduates recruitment resources help assess qualifications
- Nova Scotia Health (NSH) lists job opportunities and resources for International Medical Graduates
- The Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS) provides information about the residency matching process in each province
- The Nova Scotia College of Physicians and Surgeons provides information about licensing in Nova Scotia and practice-readiness assessments
Doctors Nova Scotia provides programs and support for physicians in every stage of their career, including a comprehensive health and dental plan, leadership training and a team of physician advisors who deliver on-the-ground practice support. Family medicine billing seminar recordings and materials are available to watch online, on-demand. Read our Member Benefits Guide to see all of the ways that DNS serves its members.