Clinical Director: NS Practice Ready Assessment, Dept of Family Medicine, Dalhousie University
Zone 4-Central (Halifax, Eastern Shore, West Hants)
In response to the Governments platform commitment, the Dalhousie Department of Family Medicine (DFM) is establishing a Practice Ready Assessment (PRA) program for Nova Scotia that aligns the Medical Council of Canada’s National Assessment Collaboration (NAC) standards and meets the requirements of the College of Physicians and Surgeons (CPSNS). The Dalhousie Department of Family Medicine is responsible to deliver a program for eligible international medical graduate (IMG) family physicians aimed at assessing their readiness to practice and make recommendation for licensure to CPSNS medicine in the province of Nova Scotia.
The intent of the program is to determine a candidate’s eligibility for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia (CPSNS). The program is comprised of a centralized assessment, orientation process and clinical field assessment and the Clinical Director will ensure that these components are of a high standard, capable of ensuring that successful candidates meet or exceed all requirements for gaining licensure in Nova Scotia.
The Clinical Director will oversee the development, implementation, continuous evaluation of the program including, program policies, procedures and protocols. As Clinical Director you possess excellent interpersonal skills with an aptitude for building enduring relationships with key stakeholders at a senior executive level. You are comfortable being the spokesperson and champion for the program such as with the media. You are a proven leader who has passion and experience for building and mobilizing something new and committed to ensure the long-term sustainability of the NS PRA program.
- Leadership and management of all aspects of the NS PRA Program, including long-term business planning, human resources, and finances.
- Ensure NS PRA Program meets the standards of College of Physicians and Surgeons (CPSNS), Medical Council of Canada (MCC); and aligns with the policies of Nova Scotia Department of Health & Wellness (DHW), Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA), Department of Dalhousie Family Medicine (DFM).
- Liaise with key stakeholders including the NSHA, CPSNS, MCC, and other provincial PRA programs.
- Lead the recruitment and ensure the appropriate training of a collection of Assessors that ensures a sustainable program.
- Oversee the development and delivery of a comprehensive orientation for all candidates.
- Establish and provide leadership to ensure structures, processes and membership of the Selection, Recommendation, and Appeals Committee are aligned and successfully supporting the delivery of the NS PRA objectives.
- Supervision of staff (Program Coordinator and Administrative) and all contracted services to deliver the NS PRA Program.
An MD Degree and an unrestricted license with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of NS. Ten or more years of clinical and management experience. Knowledge of principles and theories of teaching and learning; knowledge of local and national context relevant to IMG practice readiness; experience in managing multiple projects or leading a component (e.g., sub-project) of a major project; experience in program evaluation, budget management, control processes.
This is a two-year, contract position with the opportunity of renewal.
Status: Prior to the program launch and during the first 12 months, the position will be 0.75 FTE and 0.5 FTE for subsequent years.
Remuneration: commensurate with experience
Start date: to be negotiated
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. The Department of Family Medicine and Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The Department of Family Medicine and Dalhousie University encourages applications from Aboriginal people, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community.
We thank all participants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The review of applications for this position will commence as soon as the competition closes.
Interested applicants are asked, by July 3, 2018, to
- submit a current CV along with 3 references; and
- a statement outlining their interests forwarded to:
Denise Lavoie, Executive Assistant c/o Dr. Greg Archibald, Department Head
Department of Family Medicine, Dalhousie University
8th Floor, 5909 Veterans’ Memorial Lane
Halifax NS B3H 2E2
Further information on the Department can be found at http://family.medicine.dal.ca.